Wednesday, July 07, 2010

What I learned while researching Stars... Part Two

Continuing the fun historical details from Monday...

4) The Winecoff Hotel, where I have my stars stay while they’re in Atlanta, was the site of the worst hotel fire in American history and has recently been restored and renovated.

5) I initially considered having the tour appear at Ford’s Theater, but it was essentially abandoned during the World War Two era – and was used as storage. Hard to believe if you tour that beautifully restored theater today.

6) The National Theater has had continuous shows running since December 1835. Fortunately for my story, it had a hole the summer of 1942, which fit perfectly with when I wanted my caravan to have a show there.

7) The Hollywood Canteen didn’t open until later in 1942. Since my first book involved a canteen, I really wanted to include the Hollywood Canteen. Besides, what’s more romantic than movie stars mixing with and entertaining servicemen? Unfortunately, it was in the planning stages during Stars in the Night. Maybe in the next book…

As you can see, I love the details of history. I hope Stars in the Night sweeps you away to a time that was rich in service, glamour, and conflict.

And don't forget to participate in the launch contest for Stars in the Night by leaving a comment on the post.

4 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

Thanks for posting these historical tidbits. I just ordered the book. Now can't wait until I finish that review stack and have a "free" read.

Deleted due to hackers... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deleted due to hackers... said...

Thanks for the posts about the historical details you found while researching. It's very interesting.

Wendy said...

Thanks for offering the contest.
wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...