Friday, February 22, 2013

Picking Topics for Books

One challenge for a novelist is coming up with ideas that generate ideas for future books. While we're writing one, we need to generate ideas for more -- it's a cycle of life of sorts. 

I read a few non-fiction books, looking for anything that jumps out at me. And if it interests me, there is a chance I can spin a story around it. After that I noodle the story, try to come up with new ideas, characters, and details that will coat the non-fiction idea in a way that fiction lovers with enjoy and be immersed in them. 

When Sarah, Tricia and I began talking about creating a novella collection, we stared with a conference call. We started talking about the elements that we share in our World War II novels. Once we started spinning out elements, it became easy to craft a core that we could work from to create stories that were woven together.

With A Wedding Transpires on Mackinac Island, I thought about places we enjoyed visiting. Those often make a great setting for a book that will allow readers to escape into the pages and stories for awhile. 

What makes a book appealing to you?

1 comment:

Cindy W. said...

Oh my goodness! Cara, Sarah and Tricia all in one book. I love all of your books and wait until the next one is due out...not so patiently. You have just made my day by revealing the book the three of you are writing together. I am definitely doing the Snoopy dance. :)

What makes a book appealing to me? I am usually drawn to a book by the cover, then the blurb on the back. Of course a favorite author's name on the cover is always a big draw for me.

I'm off to finish my Snoopy dance!

Smiles & Blessings,
Cindy W.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...