Monday, April 11, 2011

Allie Pleiter and the case of the 2 y.o. Georgie

Today I'm delighted to have my friend Allie Pleiter back to share about her latest book...

One of my favorite parts of writing Yukon Wedding was writing Georgie, Lana’s two year old son. Despite my two parenting books, I haven’t had the opportunity to write young children into my stories very often. When I did, such as Lilly in Bluegrass Easter, and the whole herd of unruly second grade boys in Queen Esther and the Second Graders of Doom, I had loads of fun. Children unmask things in us that we’d rather keep hidden. They see right through our pretense and often know what’s important long before we do. Their openness and forgiveness can be charming reminders us of how us “grown ups” ought to behave.

Best of all are those golden moments when youngsters get under our all-too-serious skin despite all efforts to keep them out. Mack is such a solemn, honorable man. Georgie turns his home into chaos--joyful chaos, but chaos none the less. As such, I not only got to write the romantic story of a man falling in love with a woman, but the tender story of a man opening his heart to a child.

I hope you enjoy reading how Georgie peels off Mack’s serious layers as much as I did writing them. If they make you smile and hug the little ones in your life closer today, then I’ve done a good thing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...