Friday, April 22, 2011

New Friday Column: My Favorite Recipes

Do y'all love to cook? Me, not so much. Not sure if it's cause my family has restaurants or what...but grocery shopping and kitchens aren't my favorites. However, there are some dishes I LOVE. So I thought I'd share some of my favorites with you over the next couple months. What do ya think?

So here's the first. This is a cake I can literally whip up as surprise company is walking through the door and suddenly be considered an amazing chef. It's almost like that old Rice Krispie's commercial where the mom whips those up, throws a little flour in her face and then slumps to make it look like she worked hard. Except I don't pretend. I love that it's simple.

Chocolate Sheet Cake

1 stick butter
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cups flous
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (though I use regular if I don't have buttermilk)
1 1/2 tesaspoon baking soda

Mix all the ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes in a 9x 13 pan.

Super simple and super yummy!

3 comments:

Jonah said...

And you're not even a huge chocolate fan!

You do realize that the baking soda won't react right if there's no buttermilk? ;)

Kameko said...

Cara, this does sound like an easy recipe and so yummy...

Jonah's comment is a good tip as I wasn't aware that the buttermilk was that important to the recipe. I will make sure I have buttermilk on hand when I try the recipe.

Blessings,
Beverly

Sabrina L. Fox said...

You can make buttermilk or "sour milk" by adding a cap full of vinegar to regular milk. That's what my gram's recipe says if you don't have buttermilk on hand. Always works for me. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...