Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Are you an Aaron or Joshua, Pt 2

Last Friday, I talked about Aaron. Today I want to turn to Joshua.

Exodus 33:11 -- jumped out at me again as we've worked through Exodus. Here it is: The LORD spoke with Moses face to face, just as a man speaks with his friend. (HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!) Then Moses would return to the camp, but his assistant, the young man Joshua son of Nun, would not leave the inside of the tent. 

I don't know why, but that always resonates with me. Joshua didn't leave the tent. He stayed there, soaking in God's presence. 

Can you imagine what that would be like? Even if God's visible presence (the cloud) left, I can't
imagine the tent lacked God.

Joshua hungered for God...and God selected him as Moses' assistant. But Joshua placed himself in a place he could soak in God's presence. He could have left when Moses did. There's no indication he was expected to stay... yet he did. 

I am convinced those times are what prepared him to lead after Moses. He not only apprenticed with Moses, but he chased God. That then gave him the background to be able to see an angel, and not doubt. To say, "march around a walled city for a week and then scream? Sure." To do all that God had commanded he do as he lead the Israelites into the Promised Land.

I also believe this is why Joshua had the faith to know that no matter what the Promised Land looked like, God had promised it to the Israelites and would do it. 

I long for those times. But I'll be the first to admit that I rarely have soaking times. Instead, it feels like I'm grasping for moments with God. How about you? How do you find time to soak in God? And how do you think it has affected your life?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...