Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Irish Healer Review

The Irish Healer is the debut book by author Nancy Herriman...and what a debut! I took a chance on this book honestly because it was an advanced reader copy so I could read it while I train for the mini-marathon on the treadmill. I am so glad I did!

This book is set in Regency England -- but with a twist. Rachel Dunne has to flee Ireland after she is accused of murdering a patient under her care. Then she is hired in London to help a doctor who is giving up practice because he is tired of not being able to help the patients who come to him for help. Then cholera comes to London and both are thrust into situations they don't want.

This story is gripping. I'm not a huge reader of Regency novels except for Julie Klassen. This author does such a great job creating compelling characters with pasts that put their dreams for the future at risk that I can't wait to read the next book from Nancy Herriman. If you're looking for a book that will sweep you back to the days of Jane Austen, then I heartily recommend this story.

You can download the first chapter here.  The ARC was provided by the publisher, but the opinions are mine.

2 comments:

Casey said...

This book definitely intrigues me. Thanks for the review, Cara!

Unknown said...

Sounds good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts

marainne dot wanham at gmail dot com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...