Thursday, February 07, 2008

Love for a Lifetime

Love Matters. Eric and I just celebrated twelve years of marriage this weekend. Wow! It seems hard to believe, and at the same time many of those years were hard fought for.

But now that we’re 12 years in, each one of those times we fought to make it work is well worth it. Especially now that we have children. I’ve always read that kids need to see their parents acting in love, but man, now I know that those books and pundits are correct.

My children’s security is grounded to some extent in the status of my relationship with Eric. As such, I need to invest the time and prayer in it to make this marriage everything it can be.

I don’t want to settle for good or okay.

Instead, I want a marriage that encourages my kids to look for a spouse. That it’s one they want to emulate rather than an example they run from. My parents had their moments growing up, but I could always rest secure in the fact that they would be together. And next month they’ll celebrate 40 years. Eric’s parents are nearing 50 years. And both sets of my grandparents surpassed 60 years. That’s quite a legacy and a challenge to follow.

I will fight for the rewards of a marriage that lasts the test of time.

So what are some of your strategies for building a secure marriage with kids?

PS For a thought provoking post at the beginning of Lent check out Athol Dickson's post on Lent Among the Folds.

2 comments:

Christa Allan said...

Congrats on the twelve years;this post is such a testimony to committment.

Love the new look--or maybe it's just new to me!

Crystal Laine said...

Congrats on 12 years! I would think you should keep on doing what you are doing.

Chris and I are celebrating 27 years this June. We have four boys. Chris and I always made sure that no matter how busy we were, to make time for just us having fun.

Chris' parents were married 54 years when his dad died (his mom is now 90 and never remarried.) My parents were married 46 years when my mom died, and dad had a heart attack the day mom died--he was dead two years later.

It helps to have a lot of extended family support around a family, but the most important thing is to not make kids the center of the family--but to make them a part of it, if that makes sense.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...