Friday, November 19, 2010

Classic Hollywood Reviews: White Christmas

White Christmas (1954) is one of my favorite Christmas films of all time. I know, you're thinking we haven't even had Thanksgiving yet...how can I think Christmas? Let's just say I love the music and this movie. I could watch it anytime.

Besides there are certain moments in the show that transcend holidays. Case in point: the song Sisters, Sisters. It's wonderful when Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen sing it. Then it's a stitch when Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye take a turn at it...All in the effort to give the girls time to escape the police.

Danny Kaye plays the classic foil in Phil Davis... the perfect role for him. Davis was injured in WWII saving Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) from a falling wall. Throughout the movie that moment comes up repeatedly as a way to get Wallace to do things he doesn't want to do.

There are wonderful scenes paying tribute to those who served in the war...but the best is when the sing White Christmas. Is there any way to beat Bing Crosby crooning those words? I don't think so.

If you've never seen the movie, you can start with the trailer here. They even highlight Sisters in the trailer. This one was nominated for an Oscar for best music/original song for the song Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep, but did not win.

So pull up a comfy chair, build a nice fire, and curl up with a blanket and your honey. This movie is a great one to get your into the holiday mood.

2 comments:

Kameko said...

I adore this movie and can't let the Season pass without watching it at least once (usually more like two or three times). No matter how many times I've seen it though, it never fails to entertain and inspire. I have the soundtrack on my iPod so I can listen to the music whenever the mood strikes. "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" and "Sisters, Sisters" are two that get played often throughout the year.

Thank you for reviewing "White Christmas."

Blessings to you and your family,

Beverly

bgrider2@cox.net

Debra E. Marvin said...

I was just thinking of moving this into place in my netflix queue . . .

love this movie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...