Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Season of Thankfulness

While we should live our lives with an eye on thanking God every day for the things He gives, there's something about this time of year that seems to prompt more introspection. Yes, the day on the calendar helps, but I hope I am developing throughout the year a heart that sees His hand in operation. And one that is thankful in all things.

So here's my list of things I'm grateful for in no particular order:
  1. A husband who loves me.
  2. Children who delight my heart and make me laugh.
  3. The freedom to worship God in the way that we choose (thank you, Pilgrims and Founding Fathers!)
  4. A land where our votes still count.
  5. An extended family on both sides that is such an amazing blessing!
  6. That my husband and I can continue the debate my parents started: who has the better mother-in-law!
  7. For a beautiful home that shelters us and can be a tool for hospitality.
  8. Flowers and a garden where I can experience anew the miracle of Creation.
  9. A heart that is another step toward healing after intense sessions of wrestling with God over the last year.
  10. A God who is more that worthy of my love, trust, and adoration. 
  11. A church where we can worship God with abandon and chase after His heart as a group.
  12. Pastors who aren't on an unattainable pulpit but are genuinely friends.
  13. The freedom to homeschool my kids and make sure they learn the things I value in addition to the three Rs.
  14. Neighbors who make our little piece of the world so wonderful.
  15. Friends who know the real me and still love me -- even when giving me the kick in the pants I need from time to time.
  16. Writing friends who take a solitary journey and make it so much richer as we pray for, critique, and encourage each other. 
  17. Books, books, and more books. So thankful for the way Christian fiction has exploded!
  18. For the baby who will join our family any day. He has been much prayed for and is a miracle to us.
  19. For the doors God continues to open. I don't know where He'll take me, but the adventure of following Him is life-changing.
  20. And for the honor and privilege of seeing the words and stories He gives me in printed form.
There's so much more, but that gives you a glimpse into my heart as we celebrate Thanksgiving! What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

You have a rich, full life, it seems--looking for the better in everything.

I'm thankful for a fridge packed with food for a feast, and the people who will be joining us.

Also, not just one, but TWO friends today just got back tests that they are still cancer free! Same day, same wonderful results!

God is good, and we are sooooo thankful.

Kameko said...

Reading your list made me realize how much I take for granted on a daily basis - thank you. My life is full of God's wonderful gifts from family & friends, to a job I love, a sheltering house that is also comfortable & beautiful & the freedom to worship that same Lord. I am also thankful to be able to read the Christian fiction that is inspired by our sweet Lord.

Blessings to you & your family,
Beverly
bgrider2@cox.net

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...