Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Have I mentioned...

Have I mentioned that I'm an Olympics fan? Have I mentioned that in 1992 while I was in college I worked for the NBC affiliate in North Platte, NE? Yes, I know ... It's probably the smallest affiliate out there, but why do you think Dani Richards is a television journalist in Deadly Exposure?

Anyway, back to the Olympics. In 1992 the sports director kept asking me for the trivia about the different athletes, because I've been an Olympics junky -- probably since 1984 when I was ten watching Mary Lou Retton score a perfect ten and win gold. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

And tonight I got to bite my nails...with my laptop in my lap pretending to write about antitrust law, while the American men battled it out to win bronze in the team gymnastics event. We also watched two teens from Indiana come close, but fall short in men's synchronized platform diving. Frankly, I don't think you could push me off the platform if you somehow got me to climb up there. I mean, that's like three stories up there! That's insane.

But so were the acrobatics the men from around the world did tonight. I watch them and wonder if I really want Jonathan to do much more than he's doing right now. You know, learning how to do a cartwheel and handstand.


Buy
Read
I got two books in the mail today that I can't wait to read. The first is the new book from Thomas Nelson on the Faith of Barack Obama. There's been so much rhetoric about that -- and frankly I'm a bit sick of it. This from a former political junky. I can't believe I just called myself former! (All my friends from when we lived in DC are shaking their heads, and would take my temperature if they could. Anyway, the introduction was interesting and thought-provoking, so I'm going to see if I can get permission to post that. If anyone wants the first 48 pages, email me. I have them somewhere in my inbox and permission to forward them.

Hey, what do you know, I found the widget on TN's website. Enjoy the preview. I'll tell you what I think after I read it.

And the other book is Julie Lessman's A Passion Redeemed. Those of you who read my review of her first book understand what an exercise of discipline it is not to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist while I read it. I can't wait to see what she does with Charity's story.

It's very late/early depending on your perspective, and I need to write for another hour, so I'm signing off.

1 comment:

Crystal Laine said...

You are up awful late--boy, do I remember those days.

I'd like to see the 48 pages of the TN Faith book! Send away.I've been listening to a couple places talking about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...