Thursday, October 23, 2008

Less Than Dead Review

I am a huge fan of Tim Downs. Eric and I were first introduced to him when he and his lovely bride joy emceed the Family Life Today Weekend to Remembers that we attended. Loved his slightly sarcastic midwestern style.
And that's why we picked up his first novel. From page one, we've been hooked. I have honestly loved each book that I've read -- though I haven't read Headgame yet. The rest I can vouch for.

Nick Polchak is back as the main character in Less Than Dead. I love Nick because he is such an over-the-top character with his incredibly thick glasses and bug-like tendencies. He also examines teh humans around him as if they are part of an alien species. It makes for some unusual interpretations of how we act.

The Less than Dead, Nick has to convince a woman who's called the Witch of Endor by local residents, to help him identify unmarked graves. This woman wants nothing to do with him or anyone else. Instead, she exists to find her father who disappeared one night when she was about 12.

The graves are found on land owned by a US Senator who seems positioned to be the next president of the United States. The plot twists through the investigation conducted in Nick's inimitable way. There are hints of suspense throughout the book that speed up toward the end, but this is not a classic suspense. Don't get me wrong -- I read it in less than a day. Stayed up really late to read it. But if you're looking for a book that races from page one, this isn't it. But if you love a book filled with quirky characters, twists and turns, and a plot that shines a lot on aspects of the human character that we don't necessarily want to see in ourselves, then this is a GREAT book that you will enjoy.

Besides if you haven't met Nick yet, then it is high time that you did! And sorry, not giving this book away. I know I'll read it again and again. Here's more on the book:

Some secrets just won't stay buried.
When strange bones surface on a U.S. senator's property, the FBI enlists forensic entomologist Nick Polchak to investigate the forgotten graveyard. Polchak's orders are simple: figure out the mess.

But Polchak, known as the "Bug Man" because of his knowledge of insects and their interaction with the dead, senses darker secrets buried beneath the soil.

Secrets that could derail the senator's presidential bid.

Secrets buried in the history of a quaint Virginia town.

Secrets someone is willing to kill to protect.

With the help of a mysterious local woman named Alena and her uncanny cadaver dogs, Polchak sets out to dig up the truth.

But with a desperate killer hot on his trail, he'll be lucky to wind up anything less than dead.

If you would like to read the first chapter of Less Than Dead, go HERE

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a book my Mom would enjoy. I'll have to check into it.

petite said...

An great book that appeals to me and sounds fabulous.

Pencildancers said...

Cara,
I so want to read this book. I'm going to put it on my wish list, meanwhile I'm getting ready to crack the cover of Deadly Exposure.
Great job at ACFW!
Diana

Crystal Laine said...

I know I have a Tim Down's book around here somewhere in my stack but not this one. If you think this is good, I'm going to have to get it!!

Sigh, so many books, so little time....

anne said...

This book is unique and raches out to me. Thanks for this chance.

§wanny said...

this looks like a book I would like. I am gonna have to check into some Tim Downs books

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...