Monday, November 16, 2009

Christian Vampires? Thirsty Review...read on...



WOW! Initially, the idea of a Christian vampire book scared me. I've never read a vampire book, and didn't expect to like it. I was wrong! In Thirsty Tracey has drafted a suspense that is richly layered. Nina Parker is an alcoholic and alcohol has destroyed her life. No, she has allowed alcohol to destroy her life. But now she's been sober 90 days and has an opportunity to start over...but that requires her to go home. A place she left in the middle of the night 17 years ago and has avoided since then.

Nina returns home with her daughter. Back in Abbey Hills, Missouri, weird deaths are happening. The kind that would normally have law enforcement exploring cults and Satanists. But nothing seems to explain them this time.

Nina is a richly drawn character as are the other point of view characters. I cared deeply about her and wanted to know how she was going to grow and how the events would turn out. There is a complex interplay between Nina and her daughter -- who secretly hopes she can someday have a relationship with her mom, but has been hurt too many times. And what about Nina's neighbor? The man seems to know her in ways he shouldn't.

I was leery as I read this about what the vampire angle would be like. It really read like a supernatural suspense where shades of evil were colored as vampires instead of other supernatural elements. The way Tracey developed the story, the vampire angle worked and added a depth to the story. Now, I can't compare it to other vampire books -- I've never read them. However, I can't wait to read the second!

4 comments:

Giveaway Lady said...

Thanks for the review. Probably wouldn't read this as I don't like books with vampires and all but at least you gave me a heads up:) Thanks!! Please enter me in your contest also.
esterried[at]yahoo[dot]com

Jonah said...

Thanks for the review!

Linda said...

I've felt the same way about Christian 'vampires.' I was surprised Tracey wrote one. But your review makes it sounds more plausible. Kind of like fantasy books I don't usually read, I'd like to read this one. Thanks for the review!

desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I have this book, and i'm so excited to read it after your review! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...