Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Review: Beguiled

Love the rich historical romances of Deeanne Gist? But also wish for some suspense and that her style of romance could be paired with a twisting suspense? Then you will enjoy Beguiled, a new release by Deeanne Gist and J. Mark Bertrand. This book pairs romance with romance in page-turning results.

Rylee Monroe is a dog-walker in the old, historic district of Charleston. As a young child she lived among the well-to-do in that area, but after her parents disappeared or died, she was raised by a grandmother away from that section of town. Now she's returned, but her clients are being targeted by a burglar. She soon pairs with a crime reporter who has more than writing stories on his mind.

What I found most enjoyable about this book was the rich pool of characters. While Rylee and Logan Woods, the reporter, play the main roles, they are surrounded by supporting characters that are well drawn. Modern-day Charleston practically filled the role of a character as I felt like I'd been transported to the city and could use the book as a roadmap to get around the area. Rylee and Logan both wrestle with questions about their faith, but in a way that doesn't interrupt the story. Instead, the faith questions are woven into the fabric of the story. And the mystery thread? Loved it. And even though I figured out where it was headed, I didn't grasp the full scope for awhile and the pages still turned quickly.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable read!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Cara,
I love your reviews. This book sounds fun with a twist of suspense...I'll have to check it out.

I'm trying to get my review blog going, I would love your input at Deborah's Read-It List.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...