Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: My Foolish Heart

Susan May Warren is one of my favorite authors, but somehow before receiving My Foolish Heart, i hadn't read any of her Deep Haven novels. Trust me, I'll be rectifying that little oversight. The elements I most enjoy about Susie's books are present in My Foolish Heart.

First, the characters are so completely human and flawed. They each have deep wounds (who doesn't?!) and are fighting hard to reach the other side of those scars. They want to be whole, but aren't. The book underscores their journey to finding health and restoration.

Second, there's an underlying sense of humor that makes the book a really fun read. Some of the issues could be heavy and depressing but for the grins Susie writes in to the pages. Third, there's a nod to one of my favorite romances: Sleepless in Seattle. Read it and let me know if you agree.

The romance is so satisfying -- really this book has two. Loved that! And both get enough page time to make them complete while leaving me with a bit of a longing for more. Aren't the best books the ones that we wish hadn't ended? If you're looking for a romance filled with real characters who are learning to live whole lives in Christ, then you will love My Foolish Heart.

About the book: Unknown to her tiny town of Deep Haven, Isadora Presley spends her nights as Miss Foolish Heart, the star host of a syndicated talk radio show. Millions tune in to hear her advice on dating and falling in love, unaware that she's never really done either. Issy's ratings soar when it seems she's falling in love on-air with a caller. A caller she doesn't realize lives right next door.

Caleb Knight served a tour of duty in Iraq and paid a steep price. The last thing he wants is pity, so he hides his disability and moves to Deep Haven to land his dream job as the high school football coach. When his beautiful neighbor catches his eye, in a moment of desperation he seeks advice from My Foolish Heart, the show that airs before his favorite sports broadcast. Before he knows it, Caleb finds himself drawn to the host-and more confused than ever. Is his perfect love the woman on the radio . . . or the one next door?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...