Thursday, May 17, 2007

Review: Where Willows Grow

When you open the pages of this book, you are transported back in time to 1936 Kansas. It’s a hard time with the Great Depression compounded by the Dust Bowl. It’s been years since there’s been rain. In order to save his family, Harley Phipps must leave them to take a job with the WPA. A job building a castle … in Kansas. While he’s gone he asks his neighbor to watch over his wife Anna Mae and his two daughters.

Anna Mae is unsure she wants to be watched over by her neighbor Jack even though they grew up together. Jack had wanted to marry her but she was already in love with Harley. Now Harley’s been gone, and she’s only heard from him once. How can she keep the farm without income from him?

This book has Kim Sawyer’s signature depth of characterization. As the reader, I quickly fell in love with Anna and her struggles. The characters were rich and diverse. Harley is a man who has pulled himself up and works hard to support his family. Jack has a successful dairy farm, but is focused on the love that’s been denied him. Dirk is a man who will teach Harley what sacrifice is about. And Anna is a woman trying to make the best of an impossible situation.

I also love the way Kim makes the setting come alive. She pulls together unknown pieces of Kansas history that add richness and depth to the plot. I also enjoyed the fact that this book was set during the Depression. This has been a time period that has been overlooked by many historical authors, yet Kim makes it come to life in a manner that kept me engaged from page one.

The book is also filled with spiritual themes without becoming too preachy. Harley is unsaved in the beginning, despite Anna’s efforts. Because of people like Dirk and his boss Mr. Peterson, his heart softens over time. And Anna struggles with trusting God to provide for her and the girls. Anyone who's ever struggled to relinquish control, can relate to her struggles. I know I can!

There were a couple times I thought I could anticipate where Kim was taking the plot. What I expected to be predictable often had a twist I couldn’t see. And not all the plotlines ended perfectly. In that way, the book mirrors life where everything doesn’t wrap up in perfect packages.

Where Willows Grow is Kim Sawyer's second book from Bethany. If you enjoy historical novels set in a unique time period, you will enjoy this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will have to check this one out! I have a lot of interest in this era... My grandmothers remember this time and have shared many stories with me.
Thanks for sharing this one!
Heather C.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...