Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Summertime!

Yes, I know the calendar says June, but for me summertime arrived today.

Why?

Because I baked a strawberry rhubarb pie on Monday. The kids and I picked the strawberries last Thursday at Pretty Prairie Farm. The rhubarb came from a friend at church's farm. The pie crust actually turned out -- it's from a children's book of all places, but tasted wonderful!

But the memories came from Grandma's farm.

You see, growing up we lived in the same town as my grandparents -- aka Audrey and Willard of Canteen Dreams fame. (Don't forget I took their story and fictionalized it!). And Grandma would make strawberry-rhubarb pie in the early days of summer. Then there was strawberry-rhubarb jam. Umm. I love the mix of sweet and tart. But haven't enjoyed it for years!

Then my friend mentioned making a rhubarb custard cake. I selfishly asked for some rhubarb, and she agreed.

And this was one food group the kids and I both agreed on. It doesn't happen often! They both turned their nose up at the enchilada casserole I made. Sigh. But at least they liked the pie!

What triggers summer memories for you?

1 comment:

Carole said...

Picking the first home-grown tomato triggers growing-up memories of my dad working in our garden each evening after work, and my mom freezing and canning throughout the summer. Great memories to treasure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...