Friday, July 13, 2007

Soundtracks for My Books

My editor JoAnne Simmons in a recent post on the Barbour Editors blog, Edit Cafe, talked about music and asked about the songs that would form a soundtrack to our books. (BTW, if you haven't checked out their blog, you should!)

For Sandhill Dreams, I bought a CD called Songs that Got Us Through WWII on Amazon. It's filled with great songs like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, It's been a Long, Long Time, and I'll be Seeing You. I fire up iTunes, and listen to favorites from that, and I'm instantly transported to 1943.

I've also listed to Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride and a mix of praise and worship while writing this book. Eric often shakes his head at the way I'll be writing while swaying and singing along to some random tune. I know myself, though, and I can't operate in a vacuum. I always wonder what I'm missing. And some of the country songs are great for hitting different tones when writing the romance portions. And P&W works great to get me in the mood for the more spiritual scenes.

Hmm, I may just have to treat myself to another CD for Captive Dreams. I just noticed there's a volume two for Songs that Got Us Through WWII. Hmm. Christmas present anyone?

When you read, do you hear a soundtrack of music? If you write, do you have certain songs that go with different scenes or manuscripts?

1 comment:

Jonah said...

Business expense!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...