Saturday, March 17, 2007

Amazing Grace

Last night my mom and I went to see Amazing Grace. It has me inspired and ready to run to the library to track down biographies on William Wilberforce and William Pitt. I left the theater thinking, "God, can You use me like that?"

But you know what? William Wilberforce had a dream that took YEARS to see to fruition. And those weren't years sat waiting passively. His health was wrecked. His reputation was questioned. He and his team gathered all kinds of evidence about the evils of the slave trade. And after fifteen years of fighting he was ready to give up. I don't know about you, but after that kind of energy investment and personal cost, I might be tempted to give up, too.

But got sent people to encourage him. And others with fresh ideas on how to proceed. They went from expecting 100% change at one time to willingness to chip away at the evil. Then they were ready to play the game. It really made me think of the parallels to abortion in our country.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, go. But only go if you're willing to be inspired and challenged. We don't have to make a choice between loving God and changing the world. When He plants a dream in our heart...we can do both!

4 comments:

Sabrina L. Fox said...

"We don't have to make a choice between loving God and changing the world. When He plants a dream in our heart...we can do both!"

How beautiful!

Mark Daniels said...

Cara:
I linked to your site through ShoutLife. My wife, two friends, and I saw 'Amazing Grace' a week-and-a-half ago. It was fantastic and, as you say, inspiring. I agree too, that it serves to counsel us to be patient in pursuing the dreams God plants in our hearts.

Good post!

Blessings in Christ,
Mark Daniels

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing this movie! we were talking about it in my American Lit class.

God may not be planning to use you in such a huge way...His plan for you may be to use you just where you are. His plan for you is perfect...no matter what it is.

I questioned for a long time just where did God want me and what did He want me to do? I ask Him daily to use me and I have learned that He is indeed using me...right here in my own home with my own family.

Never ever underestimate what God is doing to use you.

Found you on Shoutlife...btw. :o)

GOD BLESS YA!

HUGS!
TerriLynn
http://www.shoutlife.com/rockgarden99

Unknown said...

Thanks for the blog regarding the film, Amazing Grace.

Just wanted to let you know that this weekend and next, supporters of the Amazing Change Campaign are hosting Amazing Nights Of Grace, in a concerted effort to get everyone talking about the issue of modern day slavery. The Amazing Change is a social justice campaign launched in conjunction with the release of Amazing Grace to abolish modern day slavery.

Plan your own Amazing Grace event and use the film to discuss your activism, faith, and other important themes from Amazing Grace. All the tools are ready for your use. The steps to plan your own event can be found at the following website:

http://www.theamazingchange.com/amazingnightofgrace.html

Learn about people continuing the work of William Wilberforce today at http://www.theamazingchange.com. Thanks again for your support. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any support by contacting us through this page.

Chris
The Amazing Change Campaign

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...