Monday, January 10, 2011

What's Your Word for 2011?

Since it's the beginning of a new year, I've been asking God over the last several weeks what my word or theme for this year is. If you listen to K-LOVE, I'm sure you heard them talking about that last week, too.

I don't remember where I first ran into the idea, but I love asking God for a word or theme verse to ponder and incorporate into my life. This year I think my word is BELIEVE and the verse is Isaiah 43:18-19:

“Forget about what’s happened! Don’t keep going over old history. Be alert! Be present! I’m about to do something brand new. It’s bursting out. Don’t you see it? There it is! I’m making a road in the desert and rivers in the badlands.” (MSG)

This verse and really the chapter have spoken to me over the last few years. What's really standing out to me this year are the middle sentences: Be alert! Be present! Don't miss what I'm doing now. Ouch. How often am I somewhere else rather than in the moment? Whether that moment is teaching one of the kids long division, interacting with our toddler, or playing a game? Often my mind is working on multiple levels, and that's not always a good thing.

So what's your word for the year? Here are some people gave me last week...maybe they'll inspire you or resonate...

o   Rest   o   Hope   o   Prosper  o   Work  o   Change   o   Finish  o   Love
o   Seeing  o   Productivity  o   Love: I Cor 13  o   Balance  o   Empowerment
o   Trust       o   Sustain   o Center (prior year was gather)  o   expectation  o   listen
o   intention  o   relax  o   focus  o   give  o   transformed  o   nurse  o   harvest
o   wait  o   faith

6 comments:

Casey said...

Focus. Mine is definately focus. Speaking of which I need to go do some of that now... ;) Good thoughts Cara!

Casey said...

Whoops, forgot, it's really Casey posting, but Today is a historical party in Seekerville, so I'm incognito. :)

Cara Putman said...

Oh, that's hilarious. I was wondering...

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I think it is so much more powerful than resolutions. I actually chose two words this year - Abide & Assurance.

heather said...

My word is CONNECT! I can be like you... constantly busy and even if my body is going my mind is always GOING on things!! This year I feel God calling me to CONNECT 100% with those I am in relationship with. That means doing LESS and giving the people I love MORE! CONNECTING with others (first our God, then my husband, our children, followed by others) must be MORE important to me than DOING! My life this year will not be measured by my external productivity rather by the strong bonds that bind me with my loved ones! CONNECTION!
Heather C.

JenRene said...

MY WORD IS GROWTH.ISA 43:18, 19 was one of my words this year as well. I was really glad to see the confirmaiton of hat scripture in your blog. I really am going to SOAR this year and it feels good to see some of the fruit begin 2011 with me.
Thanks for the inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...