Thursday, January 25, 2007

Anyone want to run for President?

Throw your hat in the ring. Come on. You know you want to. Well at least a quarter of the US Senators want to and the rest are probably thinking about it. If you watched any of the post State of the Union coverage, most of the discussion seemed to focus on whether Republicans can recover and the spin of the Democrats as they jockey for position. One pundit said Hillary Clinton was already polling at 50%!!!! in the democrat field. Yikes!

My theory: we need a Republican woman to run against her. It's the only chance. In Nebraska (I'm pretty sure the year was 1986) , we were the first state to have two women run for governor. Then the fact that a woman was running wasn't the dominant issue. Instead, the focus remained on the ... issues. Fortunately, for Nebraska, Kay Orr ran and was a great governor.

But I think some of the same principal applies here. Regardless of what you think of Hillary Clinton and her politics, to keep the campaign focused on the election, the Republicans should be looking for a qualified, dynamic woman to run.

Okay, I'm hopping off my soapbox.

1 comment:

Elaina M. Avalos said...

I know I'm kind of late to comment on this but the question is, what Republican woman has enough name recognition besides some of the Republican pundits (like Laura Ingram) to even have chance? It seems to me like there aren't really any out there who could take on Hillary. I'm a little disappointed with the Republican crop this time around. I guess we'll have to see if anyone comes out later in the game. I remember thinking when Bill Clinton declared, "Who in the world is Bill Clinton?" I guess there's still time considering how far off we are from the election!

BTW...Kay Bailey Hutchison is one that comes to mind but I'm not sure if anyone knows who she is except people like me who love politics. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...