Wednesday, November 22, 2006

International Buy Nothing Day

I now know there is a day for everything.

The day after Thanksgiving is usually a day I race around to snatch up bargains. It's also usually the last day I willing choose to shop for Christmas presents. The crowds simply take the pleasure out of shopping for me after that. I'm not sure when that happened. Maybe around the time I had a baby or a baby and a toddler. It just takes some of the fun out of the hunt when you're trying to push a cart or stroller through aisles. And shopping in stores without carts? Impossible!

Today I learned that there's actually an International Buy Nothing Day. (Here's an article on it.) I guess anti-consumerism groups have dubbed the day after Thanksgiving as a day to abstain from purchasing. Interesting. Also strikes me as pushing a stone up a hill only to have it roll back down on you.

This year I may abstain. But only because I'd rather sleep, or write, or spend the time with my family.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...