Friday, February 23, 2007

Science and Politics

Somewhere someone has said that science and politics shouldn't mix. Well, this is my blog and I can do pretty much whatever I want. Let the mixing begin...

Science: I found this article in our local newspaper about Dr. Francis Collins. He is a geneticist who worked on the human genome project throughout the 90s until DNA was mapped in 2003. I didn't attend his speech at Purdue, but he is quoted in the article as saying he's come to believe in theistic evolution. Science and faith can coexist, because he thinks it's entirely plausible that God started creation then allowed evolution to finish the process.

Hmmm. Interesting. Can't say that's what I believe, but it's interesting to read about how someone mixes faith and science. He's also quoted as saying he believes he gets closer to God with each scientific discovery.

Many, many scientists across time have found this. I love one of Albert Einstein's quotes: "I want to know God's thoughts. The rest are details." George Washington Carver would go into the laboratory and ask God to help him discover new uses for the peanut. There are many other examples... Dr. Collins perspective, though, reminds me of Thomas Jefferson, who believed God had created everything then abandoned it to run on its own much like a watchmaker.

I like my belief in a God who was intimately involved in creating and is still intimately involved in His creation.

2) Politics. Ohhhh, I love politics. And with the presidential campaigns ramping up in the next few months, politics will be pretty interesting. So Mitt Romney's running for president. He's the Governor of Massachusetts. That's not surprising... that he's running for president. What's interesting is that James Bopp has signed on as an advisor. Bopp is a conservative attorney from Indiana who is very involved in pro-life causes and litigation. You can read more about his reasons for supporting Romney here and here. Let me just put it this way, it was NOT expected for a ardent pro-lifer like Bopp to support a candidate like Romney.

Have I mentioned it's going to be a fascinating election cycle?!?!

1 comment:

Candice Speare said...

Love the science and the politics!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...